3. Student is Symptomatic at Home
In the event that a Student is exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19 at home, the following guidelines should be followed:
- Family should monitor students at home each morning for the most common symptoms of COVID-19 (see list).
- IF NO SYMPTOMS:
- Send student to school.
- IF ANY SYMPTOM:
- Do not send the student to school.
- Call the School’s COVID “Point of Contact “ and inform them that your child is staying home due to symptoms.
- Current Massachusetts DPH guidance is that all symptomatic individuals in Massachusetts, even those with mild symptoms, should be tested. An individual who does not wish to be tested should instead isolate for 14 days and until asymptomatic.
- The student should get tested at one of Massachusetts’s test sites. Sites may require pre-screening, a referral, and/or an appointment.
- Isolate at home until test results are returned.
- Proceed as follows according to test results:
- IF NEGATIVE —-> Student stays home until asymptomatic for 24 hours.
- IF POSITIVE —-> Student should remain at home (except to get medical care), monitor their symptoms, notify the school, notify personal close contacts, assist the school in contact tracing efforts, and answer the call from local board of health or Massachusetts Community Tracing Collaborative. Shore will inform DESE by calling the DESE Rapid Response Help Center. Most people who have relatively mild illness will need to stay in self-isolation for at least 10 days and until at least 24 hours have passed with no fever and improvement in other symptoms. Repeat testing prior to return is not recommended. Return to school should be based on time and symptom resolution. FOLLOW STEPS UNDER: “Protocol: Student / staff tests positive for COVID.”
- IF NO SYMPTOMS: